THE STORY OF THE STARS
Centuries ago, explorers left their homeland in search of new adventures and new opportunities. These brave men and women had no maps to follow, just some simple tools: a sextant, a compass, and an astrolabe. These tools allowed the explorers to use the stars to find their way. The most important stars were (and still are) those found in a familiar constellation: Ursa Major.
Ursa Major points to the Polaris, the North Star. Ursa Major and Polaris still help humans find their way when they are lost or away from home. In a similar way, Millswood's five stars...Attendance, Academics, Behavior, Citizenship and Sportsmanship...will help our students find their way from the comfort of elementary school to the new lands of middle and high school. When you are lost, the stars will show you the way.
And Ursa Major? That's Latin for "Great Bear". Why else would we choose the Grizzly as our mascot?
5 STAR GRIZZLY GOALS
1. Academics - We believe....in excellence, hard work, doing our personal best, taking responsibility, and never giving up.
2. Attendance - We stand for...."being there", dependability, reliability, and showing up on time.
3. Behavior - We stand for...strong character, integrity, doing the right thing, and walking in our strength and not our weakness.
4. Citizenship - We stand for ....respecting others, our school, and ourselves.
5. Sportsmanship - We stand for many and we stand for one. We believe in supporting each other and cheering each other on.